Thursday, August 13, 2015

Going back to basics is a good thing, and necessary

Soon after my last post, I had a long chat with Karly regarding Candy's rushing and exaggerated jumping. We both came to the same conclusion, and it wasn't hard at all for us to agree on this: we need to make Candy step back, think, and come back to me. Not only does she need to chill out, but also she needs a reminder that she needs to listen to her rider. I like that Candy is so motivated, enthusiastic, and has good impulsion, but momentum doesn't equal shooting herself over a jump like a horse canon ball. A horse who over-jumps to me signals that she isn't as confident and secure about her own jumping as she should be, that she feels the need to jump too high because she isn't too sure about her take off, landing, feet placements, and exactly how much she needs to lift and and how fast she needs to propel herself in order to clear each and every jump, no matter what height. My guess is that Candy remembers the excitement of it, but doesn't remember exactly how to do it right. She may know her job and how to use herself, but it makes sense because it's been a while for her. I myself am a very experienced and well trained opera singer who is very competent and definitely knows what she's doing. But if I were to get on stage and sing an entire role right now, after having not sung for 4 years, I know for a fact that I'd botch it miserably. It's hard for muscle memories to click back together following a long time off for humans, much less for horses, no matter how good they are and how much they have learned. So, we're going back to basics. Other advanced level adult riders might've been discouraged with Candy in the past because Candy's big jumps either scared or were just no fun for them, I take it as a good challenge in my riding career. I'm going to school Candy, and I'm going to do it the right way, as well as the smart way. She needs to pay attention to me and take my cues when I give them. She needs to re-learn how to see a jump and go at it without throwing herself at it like equine ammunition from across the ring, no matter that I'm still on her, and to hell with the rest of the world because Candy wants to jump. I don't want to develop more bad habits because I'm unable to concentrate on my own jumping position and alignment out of being anxious with her anxiety and rushing myself just to keep up with her, and then we both are in a big blob of jumping mess together, feeding off of each other's bad habits and nervousness back and forth.


So that led to today, when I went to the barn armed with gymnastics exercises that I had saved on Pinterest and printed out to tuck neatly into my riding notebook. I decided to cut Candy off of bigger jumps until she gets a hold of herself and can jump properly like how I want her to. Trot poles, canter poles, landing poles, and mini obstable courses to make her focus, collect her steps, look where she's going, think about what she's doing, and back off as much as necessary. I set up a V double oxer to improve her use of her front legs, reach sharper, and tidy her leap. After just two exercises with small jumps and ground poles, already she started pacing herself better when I sent her over a barrel jump with no poles on the ground before and after. So, Gymnastics is the magical answer. Candy did so well, and one session down, I'm already noticing a difference. I can't wait to do more with her. It's obviously what we both need. I also took more time to focus on our trotting and cantering today, as well as my own two-point position. I worked on my two-point enough to feel like my legs wanted to split from ankles to thighs after getting off. I can confidently say that my core strength has vastly improved, and that I can count on not only my legs but also my abs and seat when I'm riding. Also, Candy no longer resists the bit, and I've gotten to the point of being able to adjust contact and steering much more easily. That, in and of itself, as a victory on my part. Sad that Karly was sick this morning, and our lesson got canceled yet again. However, I had one of the best practice rides ever, and I know what to do from now on. Once again, I must remember to take it slow and do it all gradually. Take small steps in the right direction and keep them going, instead of forcing one great leap forward and then only to have to stumble several steps back after the inevitable truth reveals that it doesn't work well that way. Just think, considering how much we've accomplished so far in merely a little over a month, what will we be doing 6 months from now, and 1 year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment