Monday, August 17, 2015

Get up, show up, and never give up

You know you had an effective riding lesson, when you sit back, straighten up, open your rib cage, and twist your torso accordingly to drive your car through a turn.


I'm also pretty certain Candy is in season again. And I could swear she just had her last period 3 weeks ago. Really, lady, really? When is pony menopause? Oh, wait, they don't have that. I'm lucky that Candy has never been "marish". She is able to work and function normally throughout her cycles. Hardly ever acts up, a little bit of grump and impatience here and there, no more. But I still can't imagine it being a pleasant time for her if it happens too often, especially during the summer months. Unfortunately, unlike humans, it's not physically or mentally comfortable for other mammals at their most sexually receptive phases. I'm keeping an eye out for any sign of menstrual pain. Considering Candy's age and behavior patterns, Mare Magic, thankfully, is not necessary. Aimee, whom I rode with on Okinawa and who has a good deal of knowledge on OTTBs, thinks Candy might actually have been caslicked at a young age because she did once race, and if she is, then it would explain her seasons not being extreme. I'm still not going to push her too hard when I can pick up obvious signs of her being in heat though. Back pains and hormonal side effects related to the feminine cycles are not fun for anyone, human or horse.


We did more gymnastics today. Must remember, release, and more release! Give her the reins, and just let her do it! So, yes, we had another lesson today, although of course, I decided to rest up this weekend and did not ride at all since our last lesson on Friday. Since it was on the warm side today, and our lessons tend to be rigorous even on "light days", I made sure to sneak plenty of salt into Candy's food, as well as place a small bucket of water on the ground by the feed bucket, when I arrived just in time for her to eat breakfast. I feel lucky that Candy will eat all the salt and garlic powder with no complaints, as long as they're put into her food. We did try not to do too much today, for the temperature was rising pretty quickly from 10am on, and the humidity level was higher. It was about as hot and humid as I am willing to ride in. Have I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to not having to pick and choose my riding times in the daylight hours based on the positions of the sun and the hourly weather forecast and temperature prediction by Weather Whiskers on my phone? And because despite having lights all around, I just don't like riding in the dark. I'm dreaming of shades over the ring, or even better, an indoor ring.

Karly drilled my canter position for a long time. Yet another moment when I'm grateful for a good trainer. Just one of the many small fine-tunings that have yielded tremendous results for me and Candy. I discovered that riding in the half seat the whole time while cantering isn't the best idea. As I approach a jump, yes. For a jump prep, yes. But holding a half seat constantly throughout the canter doesn't work for Candy. I learned to adjust her strides with tiny shifts of my hips. Sit back, straighten up, and open the hips accordingly is the way to go. How wide I open my hips and how far back I sit my seat are what makes the differences in Candy's canter pace and impulsion. It's all little twerks with my body that I need to sort out, and then stick with what works the best for my horse. I'm doing much better with my turning position now. I still need to work on preparing for turning earlier, looking in the direction of the turn sooner, and begin adjusting my body, as well as legs and hands if necessary, for going into the turn and where I'm turning to more ahead of time. Again, the people who think riding is easy have never ridden, and probably never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment