Saturday, July 25, 2015

Don't forget to have fun

I know I said that I wouldn't ride until after this week is over, but I went riding this evening, because I really, really wanted to. I compromised by wearing my watch to time myself, cutting off at exactly 30 minutes after I got on. I've come to realize that there's never a need to ride myself into a pulp and then barely able to walk the next day with muscle fatigue. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of riding for me. As long as I ride, ride often, and have fun, that's what matters to me. What's the point of doing it all the time if I don't enjoy it every time? Having fun is the most important part!

Candy and I had a great time. It was a wonderful ride. We did some good work, with me feeling confident that we're ready for our next lesson on Monday. I mostly drilled on our flat work, patiently practicing different transitions and lateral moves. We both needed the exercise after a week off. We ended on a good note with only 3 jumps. Ok, granted, the last jump was a bit of a big crossrail, which Candy made a big leap over that made me go "woot!" afterwards. 

I'm feeling pretty good now after my ride. I'm not even as sore as I thought I'd be. But then again, I paced myself for that reason. No need to overdo it and risk pushing my still recovering system beyond the "I'll be fine" line into the "I'll have to crash and restart again" territory. Candy and I did well, and it was enough. My shattered pride was mostly mended. Most importantly, we both had fun. I can do this. We can do this. I know it! It's not going to happen overnight, but we will get there. All good things take time, and we are in no rush for anything, at all.



I think I'm making significant progress with unconditioning Candy from her bit over-sensitivity. She's getting over her mouth contact avoidance that had very unfortunately resulted from having had her mouth pulled on way too much by a young student who rode her a long while back. Yeah, as awesome as Candy is, she's just not lesson horse material. I think she's starting to become more and more sure each time that when I try to increase contact, I'm only either trying to steer better or set a different pace, that I'm not trying to yank on her mouth. If old habits of mine set in with my hands, she reminds me with a head shake, and I adjust my hold on the reins immediately. We're starting to understand each other and communicate well. With our consistent schooling, Candy is also starting to get all the over-excitement tendencies out of her system. When I first started riding her, she'd be fidgeting with anticipation and then all but sprint at a jump the moment she realized that I was going to let her take it. Her excitement and eagerness were palpable all over, finally having her old job back after too long loitering idle in a pasture, with no rider to do with her what she's been doing and thriving in for years. All her life she's been used to constant work in a hunter/jumper ring or on a cross country course, and that's what she was meant to spend her whole life doing. And it's what she still wants to do, for a long time to come. This is not a horse who can just hang out in a field, get fat, and be content with her life. She's just not ready for that yet at this point, despite her age. She's a horse who needs a job to be happy. A horse who gets impatient and restless as opposed to sluggish and slothful is certainly a huge change for me, after 3 years of riding half-dead zombies that I couldn't even use "lazy" to describe. Now, the signature excited head toss move is still there, but only at the very first jump. After that, she settles down. I can live with that. I'd much rather ride a horse whom I need to slow down than a horse who needs to be pushed and shoved just to go more forward, the latter kind of which was all I had access to while living in Japan, and I was long tired of it. I don't know if Candy was ever on the race track, but her Thoroughbred breeding is obvious. She's lighting fast with large strides, and she uses her speed and steps well. And she's so motivated and driven, which is what I love the most about her.

I look forward to our lesson with Karly on Monday. I'll be sure to go easy on myself. One thing is certain, that I improve every time I ride, that I get off of Candy a better rider with each lesson, each practice. And always, always remember to have fun, because it's supposed to be fun. I wouldn't be doing it if it weren't a fun thing for me to do. What's the best part of horseback riding? It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment