Monday, September 21, 2015

Embracing autumn

This weekend, for the first time in months, I was able to ride without a dire urge to hose myself down along with Candy afterwards.


And I had two days of great rides, especially Sunday morning. The weather was glorious, and I had an even better time, made all the lovelier with a soft, cool breeze on my face the whole time. Candy was on her good behavior, feeling no need to rush. I had known this all along as well, that I hadn't been riding enough, that I need to hit the barn at least 3 times a week to keep myself as well as Candy in riding shape and grounded. Candy needs that kind of regular, frequent work to not grow itchy and restless. She hates long stretches of idleness. I should've always known this.

I even pulled myself back together and resumed a fitness regime, starting with setting foot in the gym on campus this morning upon my usual early arrival at school. I've made up my mind to utilize the time before my 8am class on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday at the gym instead of trying to do homework and often failing, and I know without an ounce of uncertainty that this is a much better plan for so many reasons. Just 20 minutes on the elliptical this morning made one heck of a difference in starting my day. And guess what? I could always use more cardio.

I'm not going to yoga classes anymore, to much sadness, and to much relief as well. I ordered two yoga blocks, a yoga strap, and a bottle of yoga mat cleaner online from Gaiam. We will go to Lowe's and get a piece of plywood to create a hard yoga surface for me on our carpeted living room floor. I will do what I can with our limited space to set up a good home practice. As soon as I have everything ready, I will sign up for YogaGlo. I certainly am excited to take online yoga classes with Kathryn Budig!

As far as me and Candy, I'm beginning to believe that trial and error is the way to go. Keep trying out different things, see what work and what don't. Other than forcing my legs into still submission, as well as keep reminding myself, every few strides if I have to: chest out, shoulders back, head up, look ahead, and BREATHE! Count the breaths with the strides if I have to. Engage the core, tuck the bellybutton to the spine, open the hips, flex the pelvis. Toes forward, heels down, calves on. Remembering what Bethany had once told me: "if you think you're sitting back, sit back a little more." 

I made sure to add in more two-point work, because I felt like my two-point had gotten sloppy. Trot poles are great for that purpose. I shortened my stirrups again, and kept a good eye on my lower legs. We worked on a low wide double oxer exercise, which I think Candy enjoyed. She really has gotten so much better at not going at jumps too fast. My one lightbulb moment, upon discovering Candy's tendency to speed out upon landing a jump, was that my core either simply not engaged enough, or is out of shape and therefore not strong enough to push myself up immediately as she hits the ground to collect her and bring her back to me. So I pushed my core, as well as my legs, until I could really feel both cry for mercy. 

We had one minor incident, which was no big deal, but it did make me take a step back and remember to slow down again. Feeling adventurous, I set up a 3-foot jump, only to end up chickening out and taking Candy to it way too slowly. A swift refusal landed me bum first on the ground. It was a light and small enough fall that it didn't even scare Candy. She stayed where she was, seemingly confused that I wasn't on her anymore. Honestly, I probably saw it coming well ahead of time, and knew it was going to end that way. Deciding that it would be a better idea for me to do that under supervision, I lowered the pole to 2'9''. Candy went over it a few times back and forth fine, but not as smoothly as I would've liked. Perhaps I'd set the take off and landing poles too close on the ground, not leaving enough space in between them and the jump for her to clear it the way she needs to do it well. She is, after all, a tall girl with long legs and big strides. I'll have to consult Karly on the subject of how far apart to set the different jumps and ground poles for her.

It's really the hard to ride horses that have the most to teach.

For an equestrian, there are generally two options: go for the easy horse who's content plopping around the ring with less than one bit of care about what you do, who will put up with anything and who doesn't feel the need to let you know otherwise, and remain a mediocre rider for life, or go for the difficult horse who will not put up with less than good equitation, who will push you past all limits, who will expect more from you and really teach you how to ride, and be drilled into a great rider in time.

I want to be a great rider. I want to learn how to ride well, and I want to ride Candy well. A great horse deserves a great rider.

We have good days, and we have bad days. But at the end of everyday, I want Candy to know how much I love her, and how thankful I am to have her in my life, always motivating me and moving me forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment